Monday, October 20, 2008

Glow in the Dark Mountain Dew!

The other day I got an email with a video showing how to make an "Emergency glow stick" out of a bottle of Mountain Dew, Baking Soda and Peroxide. I for one thought that this was absolutely amazing and had to try it out. If it did work, what was in Mountain Dew to make such a chemical reaction? Why would anyone want to consume this beverage? I am usually very skeptical of these things and usually do some internet research. I was so enamored that I thought it had to be true! Good thing during the weekend I did not try this science experiment as planned, I kept forgetting to buy Mountain Dew. Monday I received another email this time with the Snopes.com link identifying this was a hoax!!! I was duped!! What a serious disappointment.

As a result of more searching about Mountain Dew and its disappointingly non-glow int he dark effects I did find another glow in the dark challenge. Is it possible to make glow in the dark ice with Tonic water? It says that the ingredient quinine has to be in the tonic water in order for it to work and the best way to see it is under a black light. I am skeptical but of course my curiosity is killing me and now I want to try but I have to buy a black light first.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

oooh yeah and Im craving ice, I want to try this one too !!!!Things that glow ROCK and black lights make everything fun.