Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Conversation Skills


I have always had a fascination with the medical field. The idea that you would be trained to help someone or even save a life was such an amazing thing to be able to do. Those who felt uncomfortable in hospitals I did not. I loved going to the hospital. So a few weeks back I had to get my blood drawn (no worries we are all good). I decided that I would watch the needle this time and not be a wimp and close or divert my eyes. As the blood was taken and label I decided that I would hone in on my conversation skills and try to create conversation with the lab technician. I said, "Where you ever nervous when you take blood?" She replied, "No, I had a lot of practice." I thought to myself that even with all the practice in the world I would be a bit scared at least the first time. Then she continued, "when I was younger I had to give my brother shots because he had Leukemia. In the 80's they didn't have the medical technology/research they do now so he passed away." UGH!!! How horrible was this! I had to choose this poor girl just to practice my conversation creation skills and here she lost her brother. I of course said sorry for her loss but either way I felt horrible and from then on I need to be more careful in who I choose to create conversation with. How to tell not sure. I guess I will have to leave it up to them to start the conversations.

No comments: